Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office connected to his time as the United Kingdom’s trade envoy, according to a police statement.
Authorities did not publicly identify him in their initial announcement but confirmed that officers carried out searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk. A man in his sixties remains in custody. Andrew turned 66 on Thursday.
Police said they are working with partners to examine the alleged offence and emphasized the importance of protecting the integrity of the investigation. They also acknowledged the intense public interest and said further updates would be provided when appropriate.
Unmarked police vehicles were spotted at Sandringham in Norfolk early Thursday morning, where Andrew has been living since leaving his residence in Windsor.
Emails and Allegations Resurface
The arrest follows reports that Andrew may have shared potentially sensitive documents with the late financier Jeffrey Epstein during his tenure as trade envoy. Newly reported emails suggest he discussed an $8 billion cash-for-oil deal involving two foreign entities.
According to the Financial Times, Andrew and a banker with whom he worked closely exchanged messages about the proposal with Epstein while the financier was serving house arrest following his 2008 conviction for soliciting sex from a minor.
Royal commentator Craig Prescott of Royal Holloway, University of London, described the situation as an extraordinary fall from grace for a modern member of the royal family.
Policing analyst Danny Shaw told the BBC that suspects are typically held for 12 to 24 hours before being charged or released pending further investigation. In rare cases, detention can extend up to 96 hours, though this requires multiple authorizations from senior officers and a Magistrates’ Court. It remains unclear exactly when Andrew was arrested.
Shaw added that Andrew would be held in a standard custody suite, with no special treatment.
Palace Reaction and Title Removal
Earlier this month, Thames Valley Police confirmed it was assessing allegations of misconduct in public office against the former prince. In response, King Charles III expressed concern and stated that Buckingham Palace was prepared to assist authorities if necessary.
In October, King Charles stripped Andrew of his royal titles and instructed him to leave Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate. The decision came after years of controversy surrounding Andrew’s relationship with Epstein. He stepped back from royal duties in 2019 following a widely criticized interview with the BBC about his association with the financier.
Andrew has not been criminally charged in connection with Epstein and has consistently denied wrongdoing.
In 2022, he reached a financial settlement with Virginia Giuffre, who had accused him of sexually abusing her when she was 17. While the settlement amount was not publicly disclosed, media reports estimated it to be between £7.5 million and £12 million. Andrew did not admit liability but acknowledged Giuffre’s suffering as a victim of sex trafficking.
Giuffre died by suicide in April at the age of 41 at her home in Western Australia. Her memoir, Nobody’s Girl, was published posthumously in October.
